Essential Tips for Using Flowers to Create a Memorable & Meaningful Airport Reunion from the floral experts at VanderSalm’s Flowershop, Kalamazoo’s top florist.
Greeting a loved one at the airport with flowers is a wonderful practice more people should partake in. After all, receiving fresh, beautiful flowers is one of the best gifts anyone can receive. Being presented with flowers right after a long and tiring flight will boost the recipient’s mood and re-energize their spirits while you’ll be seen as a hero. Flowers let your visitor know that you love them and have missed them. Before you run out and pick up just any bouquet to take to the airport, though, there are some important tips to consider. Keep reading to find out how to make your airport reunion perfect and memorable with flowers.
The Language of Flowers
Do Present Fresh Flowers to Friends
Presenting flowers to your friends honors your friendship and shows how much they mean to you. Flowers that represent happiness, cheer, and joy are the best types for friends, such as the below types.
- Alstroemeria – Friendship and Optimism
- Chrysanthemums – “You’re a wonderful friend”
- Geraniums – True Friendship
- Iris – “Your friendship means so much to me”
- Yellow Roses – Friendship and Joy
- Yellow Tulips – Friendship and Cheerfulness
- Zinnias – “Never forget absent friends”
Don’t Give Romantic Blooms to Someone You Are Not in a Relationship With
Nothing says “I love you” and “I missed being with you” than gorgeous flowers that convey feelings of passion and deep love. The below blooms are perfect for the wife, girlfriend, or special love of your life to give.
- Dahlia – Excitement and Lasting Bond
- Forget-Me-Not – “True love memories”
- Roses – Romance, Passion, and Love
- Honeysuckle – “The bond of love”
- Lavender – Enchantment and Love at First Sight
- Pink Camellia – Longing and often given to those we miss
- Red Chrysanthemums – “I love you”
- Stocks – Bonds of Affection and Happy Life
Do Give Meaningful Petals to Family Members
Welcome out-of-town family members to warm their hearts and let them know you are excited to be with them again. A charming hello that expresses how much you have missed them, love them, or are grateful for their visit can be said with these ideal flowers.
- Hydrangea – Sincerely Heartfelt and Gratitude
- Orange Tulips – Warmth
- Peach Roses – Missing Someone
- Pink Carnations – Gratitude and a Mother’s Undying Love
Cheerful Flowers for Any Traveler/Visitor
If you have a visitor that does not fall in any of the above categories and you’re not sure what type of flowers to give them, then select those blooms which symbolize “welcome,” joy, and warmth Consider some of the below popular classics.
- Baby’s Breath – Happiness
- Calla Lilies – Rejuvenation, Classy Style, and Luxurious Appeal
- Gerbera Daisies – Cheerfulness and Loyal Love
- Pink Roses – Appreciation, Joy, and Gratitude
- Safflowers – Welcome
- Sunflowers – Happiness
- Sweet Pea – “Thank you,” Bliss, Pleasure, and a great way to bid someone “farewell” after a wonderful visit
- Wisteria – Welcome
- Yellow Lily – Gratitude
Do Remember Color Meaning
In addition to a specific flower’s meaning, the colorful hues of these eye-catching and inspiring blooms also tell a story. If you’d rather focus on flowers of a certain color rather than type, use the below chart for a true color guide.
- Light Pink – Admiration
- Peach – Gratitude
- Pink – Gratitude and Appreciation
- Red – Passion, Love, and Romance
- Yellow – Joy and Friendship
Don’t Get Gas-Station or Grocery Store Flowers
If you are going to do it, then do it right. Flowers from places other than a real florist are days old, so they are less fresh and won’t last as long. Also, they are mostly filled with sub-par blooms and lots of filler. And, everyone knows the difference between flowers from a real florist vs a big box store. Do your loved ones right.
Welcoming your guest with flowers will create a beautiful reunion that is meaningful and memorable. They will feel extra loved and special while others pass by wondering why they didn’t get flowers. Just remember that vases of water are not allowed into the airport so you will need to wrap the blooms in paper or cloth. Keep the stems hydrated by placing wet paper towels around them. For beautiful bouquets, visit us in person or view our online catalog of gorgeous blooms now.