Welcome to the wonderful, colorful world of lilies! With over 100 species, lilies are some of the most diverse and dramatic blooms around. It’s also why they’re one of the most popular flowers in the world. Steeped in cultural symbolism that goes back centuries, lilies are cherished and revered around the globe. We like them because of their vibrant beauty and awesome fragrance!
Lilies have various meanings in different cultures, but commonly, these beautiful blooms represent grace, royalty, beauty, and rebirth. Similar to other flowers, the meaning is often based on their color, so when gifting a lily to someone, keep the below guidelines in mind.
- White lilies represent purity, virtue, and innocence.
- Pink lilies represent abundance and prosperity.
- Red lilies represent love and passion
- Orange lilies represent confident, wealth, and pride
- Yellow lilies represent joy, thankfulness, and good health
Quick Lily Facts
- Lily is a flowering plant that grows from bulbs.
- “True Lilies” belong to the genus Lilium.
- When lily flowers bloom, they are large, colorful, and often fragrant.
- TruelLilies have 6 petals and 6 stamens with anthers (oblong pods that contain pollen).
- Lilies are popular in weddings and wedding bouquets as well as other noble ceremonies.
- Lilies are toxic to cats, so keep your furry friends away from them.
- There are 9 divisions, or categories, of lily types.
- Lilies are known for being one of the longest-lasting cut blooms with a long in-vase lifespan.
Lily Classifications & Examples
Pink Pixie Lilies
Division 1: Asiatic Hybrid – Most popular lilies in the world. Come in almost every color but have little to no scent. Attractive and long-lasting. (Tango, Forever Susan, Orange Pixie Lily, Elodie Lily, Lollipop)
Turk’s Cap Lily
Division 2: Martagon Hybrid – Dramatic, visually interesting, producing many small dainty downward-facing blossoms. Flowers can be numerous 40-50 per stem and strikingly colored. (Turk’s Cap)
Division 3: Candidum Hybrid – Famous for the Madonna lily that has a lovely fragrance, white flowers, and a yellow base. Up to 20 blossoms per stem. (Madonna)
Division 4: American Hybrid – Includes hybrids of wild lilies in North America. (Tiger Lily)
Division 5: Longiflorum Hybrid – Elegant pure white and trumpet-shaped. Bloom during Easter. (Easter Lily)
African Queen Lily
Division 6: Trumpet and Aurelian Hybrids – Tall and elegant with fragrant, trumpet-shaped flowers. (African Queen)
Division 7: Oriental Hybrid – Large blooms, strong, enchanting fragrance, vibrant colors. (Stargazer, Casablanca, Acapulco Lily)
Orange LA Hybrid Lily
Division 8: Interdivisional Hybrids – Hybrids of the previous seven divisions.
Wild Yellow and Red Lily
Division 9: Species – Wild ancestors of the previous 8 hybrids.
FABULOUS IN FUCHSIA
All the Lily Love
It’s easy to fall in love with lilies because of the striking colors and visual appeal. Brighten someone’s day by sending them a bouquet of fragrant lilies or order them for yourself – you deserve it! VanderSalm’s Flowershop has a great selection of just the perfect floral bouquet for any occasion. Check out our selection of lily bouquets and other beautiful floral arrangements now.